A Rogue by Any Other Name - Sarah MacLean

This is what I've read: Penelope wanted him to love her, blah, blah, blah. Bourne did not deserve her, blah, blah, blah. Penelope knew she was not beautiful and that he was only playing with her, blah, blah, blah. Bourne only married Penelope to seek revenge, although he wanted to "claim her as his", blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, and more blah, blah, blah.

Could we say predictable much? A scoundrel who does not remember what happiness is; a virginal spinster who wants "more". Marriage of convenience; she mopes because he doesn't love her; he is in denial that he is in love until something happens. Penelope is supposed to be sensible, but she does so many stupid things that I rolled my eyes about 90% of the time (going alone at night to an abandoned house? her desired adventure is to go to a gambling house? and when she is angry, going to said house alone? drinking a tiny glass of alcohol and getting drunk? knowing from the start that Bourne wanted to marry her because of her dowry, and then be hurt when she remembers it? uggh, I could go on and on).

Bourne is a hero I disliked right from the very beginning, I kept waiting and waiting the moment where he would redeem himself (never happens). And wasn't it his entire fault to lost his property? He made the wager. He encounters Penelope after a decade of going away, he destroys her reputation to make her impossible to avoid marriage. Not only that, after compromising her, he leaves, saying "the deed is done". How romantic... not! He is a total ass. He does the same on their wedding night.

As for the love scenes, I skipped them all. There are not many, but the few were a total ZZZzzz. To be honest, I skipped a lot of scenes, but it was not like I did not read them before, in a lot of other Historical Romances. The book is corny, predictable, not romantic at all. I was amazed when I scrolled down and see all the good reviews, even from my GR friends. Oh well, it is not for everyone I guess. ¯_(ツ)_/¯