Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

Silly me, I purchased this book because I thought it was "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day", a book I wanted to read ever since I watch the movie. The mistake cost me dearly (more than USD 25.00... books in my country are very expensive )

I am in the minority when it comes to this book. It has a lot of good reviews, but to me it was "just OK". I will not deny that, the first half of the book I thought the writing was good (and I am not really an expert when it comes to "good" or "bad" writing). Besides, I love to read stories that take place in little towns, and in UK, nonetheless! It was like reading an Agatha Christie book.. with Ms Marple as the MC. Gossips, women that have their own activities, like planing their reunions, parties, etc. Men on their own activities, like hunting, playing golf, etc. Little things that make it seem like years have not passed in that place.

But the book drags too much for me. Some events were not necessary. Roger is a jerk; too bad the Major did not put him on his lap and give him a good spank (Roger is 30 years-old, after all). I did not come to "know" the characters, hence, I did not connect or love them. It was like watching a so-so movie, that makes you shrugs your shoulders at the end and think "meh, it was ok, nothing special".

I love the cover though. It is so sweet and simple and meaningful.