We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ott, Jonathan Lethem

I still do not know what I just have read. This book was too weird. I would not categorize it as horror; mostly I would say it is creepy and gloomy. The three main characters that live in the house are Mary Katherine (the book is narrated from her PoV), her sister Constance and their Uncle Julian. The first pages the reader has no idea of what happened in their past: people in town are either scared of them or try to avoid them.

One thing is certain from the start; this May Katherine is crazy as hell. Constantly she wishes all people around her are dead. When their Cousin James comes to visit, I could not decide who was crazier. Their horrible past is that, years ago, Constance poisoned all her family, and they are all dead now (the true story is not hard to know). I had several questions while reading this book, questions that remain unanswered. Why was the family poisoned? Was Mary Katherine a kind of psychopath?