Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd -

A bunch of stories, geek-related, written by several very-known authors. Some are comedies, some are dramatic. Before a chapter begins, there is a funny illustration. I liked some stories, some I did not like at all.

- "Once you're a Jedi, you're a Jedi all the way", by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci: a Trekkie girl and a Jedi boy spent a night together, despite being of 2 entirely different "casts". The boy is very sweet, and over heels for the girl, and she is kind of tough, but nice. The end is very cute. (Star Wars/Star Trek geeks)****

- "One of us", by Tracy Lynn: a cheerleader pays a group of geeks to teach her the world of geekness, so she can have things in common with her boyfriend. She is reluctant at first, but she spends a lot of fun times with them, and befriends all these geeks. The end is kind of sweet too. (Geek in General) ****

"Definitional chaos", by Scott Westerfeld: two exes have to deliver a lot of money, and have their own adventure in the train. I did not fully comprehend the whole story, mostly because I am an ignorant in games. (Gamers Geeks) ***

- "I never", by Cassandra Clare: a group of boys and girls (and some more mature members) gathered in a house to meet the members. Each one of them have their fictitious profile in a journal account. Our heroine is Catherine and she is there to meet her Heathcliff. The story is sweet. (Book geek) ***

- "The King of Pelinesse", by M.T. Anderson: a kid goes to meet his favorite comic author... and may be his mother's lover too. I did not see much the point of this one. (Comic Geek) **

- "The Wrath of Dawn", by Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith: a geek girl, very fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, goes with her step-sister to a Buffy-Sing-Along. MEH, because I was never a Dawn fan either. And what the Girl does at the end is corny. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer geek) **

- "Quiz Bowl Antichrist", by David Levithan: very fun, because it is about a group of boys who competes in Quizzes. There is also several romances going on inside the group, and our own hero has a crush on another boy. I feel like it was an unfinished fanfic(Quiz geek) ****

- "The Quiet Night", by Garth Nix: cos-playing as characters who like to gather and have a battle. The hero is sweet and has a lovely story. (Cosplay geek) ****

- "Everyone but you", by Lisa Yee: a girl who has a talent in twirling the baton. She moves to Hawaii and is bullied by the most popular boy in school. She also deals with a brother with mental disabilities. This story is the least geekiest. (Band geek) ***

- "Secret Identity", by Kelly Link: a teenage girl goes to New York to meet her online-love and spends a few days in the hotel waiting for him. It is the longest story, and probably the most annoying. I kept wishing to reach the end. Girl babbles a lot and she narrates the story in 1st and 3rd person, which is extremely frustrating. (Computer? geek) *

- "Freak the Geek" by Johnn Green: two BBFs are targeted as the next Geeks in school, a tradition where a group of girls attack them outside of school. They managed to escape and discuss geek stuff under a bridge. It is about friendship.(err... Shakespeare? geek) ***

- "The Truth about Dino Girl" by Barry Lyga: a geek girl who takes revenge on the most popular girl in school. Nice until she does what she does. Which is Not Nice. (Dinosaur geek) ***

- "This is my audition monologue", by Sara Zarr: a girl who babbles about her love for theater and comments she never gets a part in a play, only in the background. Kind of boring. (Stage geek) *

- "The Stars at the Finish Line", by Wendy Mass: two eternal rivals in school get closer when they have an Astronomy project. This one is also sweet with a nice end. (Astronomy geeks) ***

- "It's just a jump to the left", by Libba Bray: one of the stories I disliked the most. It is dramatic, the characters are not likeable, it is very gloomy. (Rocky Horror geek) *

Overall, a nice way to spend an evening, reading stories about geeks. And also, it strengthened my desire to know/watch Doctor Who, a must-watch for geeks.