Being Jamie Baker - Kelly Oram

I have always thought that YA meant Mary Sue-ish girls, hotties-wannabes heroes, love triangles, cliches moments; basically, books like Twilight, Mortal Instruments, Hush Hush, etc (and I am not saying I did not like most of them, because I did, but after a while, I got sick of the same plot). But lately, I have been reading AMAZING YA books, like "Easy", "The Ghost and the Goth", and this one.

I wish I was Jamie Baker. She is a bad-ass heroine, the kind I am always looking forward to read. I mean, she is beautiful, has a tough personality, and such a temper, the most amazing power, and just the most perfect boyfriend ever.

She is Storm, Flash and Hulk all in one. She has the incredible ability to manipulate electricity (this is funny, because for years I've been creating a heroine like her in my head), and it is such a hard thing for her to control it because of her temper. She is not 'the misunderstanding-but-nice' girl, and that is why I love her. She is actually kind of bitchy sometimes, and she does not doubt to kick some asses, without feeling any remorse afterwards. Let's say that the villain in the book gets some punches for trying to mess with the wrong girl.

And Ryan was also a great romantic interest. He is so self-confident, but as Jamie thinks, he is like that in a cute way. And he is very persistent to get Jamie's attention, and he never gives up or regrets anything just to get her.

I like all the characters, even the bad guys. Sure, there are a couple of 'I knew this was going to happen' moments, but I enjoyed reading the book a lot. And I like Jamie (and could she be any more awesome with her green hair and yellow eyes?) There was not a single moment where I rolled my eyes with exasperation at her behavior, which is very hard to find in a main girl character. I will definitely read more books written by Kelly Oram.