To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee I did not expect to like the book this much. I thought it would be hard to read, or maybe that the plot was going to be too dramatic... I am not sure what I was expecting, but it surprised me a lot. I would have love to read this when I was in school, to have debates and hear what the other classmates thought about certain incidents that happened throughout the story (like the fire, or the ending for example).

The book is written in 1st person, from a 6-8 years-old girl's point of view, Scout. I love the relationship between her and her brother Jem, and their father, Atticus, and also their personalities. Atticus was a respectable lawyer who had the idea he was very old to be their father; Scout was a tomboy girl, and Jem, although quiet, had a temper when it was necessary. The children called their father by his first name, instead of Dad or father. The relationship between the 3 of them was great; they trusted each other, treated each other with respect... To me, that was one of the highlights of the book.

I used to think the plot was going to be around racism: a black man falsely accused of raping and beating a white girl, and Atticus in his role of defense lawyer. And it is true, we can say that one of the most important events was this situation, but there is much more. It is also about the little town and it people, injustice, friendship, about a shy man next-door (Boo Radley), family...

I do not know why it took me so long to finish the book (2 weeks!) cuz it is a light reading and fast pacing. Very recommended. If I can, I would try to watch the movie over the weekend.