The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back - Sariah Wilson I loved this book! It was funny, sweet... I liked the characters very much, and in fact, when I was reading the book I thought several times 'Hey, did the author base Mattie on me?'. We both have fuchsia color hair, we both wear glasses and we don't like our first name, we both like manga and we draw and we are fan of John Hughes' movies! Whaaat! Totally awesome (although she likes Justin Bieber... ewwww, me... never).

I found myself giggling like a teenager in a couple of scenes. Mattie was very funny and her stepsister Ella was adorable! Her best-friend Trent does not have too much scenes, unfortunately. Jake was a hottie jerk, but most of the times, he was cute. I can understand Mattie's mixing feeling of hate/love over him. I thought he was going to be like Kazehaya in the manga Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Volume 1, popular, cute, smiley... Not a chance. Jake was more human, with flaws (like using his charms to take advantages), and I liked that, cause he was not perfect.

The only thing I did not like it was towards the end. I understand this book is like a retelling of Cinderella or teenage-movies like John Hughes', but the make-over was not necessary. I would have liked Mattie more if she did not make that. And she crying over Jake... or not answering back to mean-bitch girl Mercedes Bentley... I thought Mattie was tougher than that... And what Jake did to Mattie was a little corny IMO... Sweet, but corny.

In short, this is a fun book that I do not regret at all that I have bought it. Recommended! I finished it in, like, 4 hours straight.