Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1

Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1 - Kanae Hazuki This a review for Vol. 1 and 2.

I don't understand why this is considered a shoujo, since it is very sexualized. There are several scenes showing a couple post-sex, although it is not smutty. Except that in one part, it does show a girl naked. Maybe it is considered shoujo because it happens in school? Because it has some funny moments? I don't know.

I was recommended to read it after I asked from recommendations similar to Kimi ni Todoke. The plot is obviously similar, only much more mature. Mei is a quiet girl who is bullied by her classmates, and Kurosawa finds her 'cute'. Mei is a good character because she stands for what she believes in. And although Kurosawa is the hot, nice guy, I still do not find him that appealing. Maybe because it looks like he likes her like a pet or something? Like she needs to be constantly rescued. Sometimes is fine, but others is just too cliche.

One thing that I bothers me in most shoujos is that it is always girls who are the bullies. Really? ONLY girls? And the reason is always the same: the hot guy is interested in the outcast girl, so "hey everybody! Let's be mean with her."

Despite these few complaints, I liked the manga enough to read 2 volumes one after the other.