The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College

The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College - Harlan Cohen Generally, I avoid self-help books. I look at them with disdain and mistrust. But I did not choose to read this guide to help me, since I finished college life years ago. I did it to learn more about American college system, something that has always made me curious but at the same time, something that made me think "Thank God I did not have to go to an American college".

As a material to enlighten me, it was good. I learned a lot of stuff I did not know before or stuff I knew but took for granted maybe. This guide goes from roommates and classes to drugs, sex, bullying, suicide and money problems. It covers many things. And the author includes phone numbers and other ways to reach for help (twitter, website, FB, etc). And oh yes, he likes to promote his own stuff over and over again.

As someone who is going to start college... I mean, sometimes I put myself in the shoes of someone who is going to go to college for the first time, and it scared the s*** out of me. I think this guide could be a little overwhelming for a freshman. It is scary, to get out of your comfort zone and live alone, in a new environment, for the first time. I can't sympathize enough with people who are introvert, since I am a very introvert person myself, and the author keeps saying that you need to go and meet new people and basically, socialize (very hard advice, at least for me), and be a responsible adult (not so hard).

The 4 main tips that Harlan repeats over and over again, are:

- Be yourself
- Get out of your room (to have a social life)
- Get help (from counselors, seniors, professors, RA, etc.) for whatever problem you may have (sexual attack, depression, studies/roommates/classes/money problems, drugs, etc)
- Always wear flip flops in the bathroom

So that are the main advises to start college, and of course, be responsible with your studies, money, and life in general.

I am glad I did not go to college in USA (1 of every 4 girls have experienced rape or an attempted rape in college, imagine that!), but of course, it depends of your personality. If you are an introvert like me, this guide is kind of pointless I think.